Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day: mini style

Today is Election Day. #doi
It goes without saying that this is a fantastic opportunity to express our opinions and show support for the candidate with whom our views most closely align. There were several ballot measures that I felt passionately about this year; I did my research, felt informed and placed my vote like millions of other Americans today. But that's not what this post is about; this post is about my minis.

In an effort to make the election more tangible for my students, I let each mini vote for their favorite candidate. I thought it would be interesting to ask them why they voted the way they did. While many told me "because my mom voted for him" or "because I like him", there were a couple diamonds in the rough... I thought I'd share them. (keep in mind: they're five)

  • One girl who cast her vote told me "I want the red one to win 'cause he's never been president"
  • One Obama supporter told me, "I voted for him because my brother did" (his brother is in 3rd grade)
  • Most kids who voted for Mitt told me that they liked his name
  • Finally, a little boy proudly gave me his Obama vote and answered: I let him come to my house once. #delusionisthenewblack 



No comments:

Post a Comment