Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cinco De 'Sanity

In a facebook message I received last week from a friend that I've lost touch with, she noted "I see how fit you are... damn. Clearly a lifestyle." This simple message really got me thinking, I HAVE made a lifestyle change - I'm no longer searching for a quick fix. I enjoy the way that this lifestyle makes me feel, and the results that I've already seen. I know that because I have found a balance in this lifestyle, I can enjoy a holiday without becoming completely derailed from my health and fitness goals. 

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, most people are planning a day of indulgence, and a year ago I was not unlike the majority of the population. This year I am spending Cinco de Mayo in a slightly different way. 


This morning when I woke up and had Insanity on my brain. Today was the first day of Month Two, a milestone that I have never reached in previous attempts. Not only was it my third Fit Test, but once that was done, the schedule called for another DVD: Max Interval Circuit (60 min). Ouch. Luckily I got to see a familiar face, Jimmy Hays Nelson, squatting his way through it with me - I love that my great-grand-coach is on the DVDs. 
Since Champ is recovering from a nasty stomach bug and subsequent severe dehydration, he wasn't able to work out with me but he was a trooper and not only came down to count every rep for me on my Fit Test but he brought his laptop and did his work while I "hopped around for an hour" doing my Max Interval Circuit. (Insert obligatory comment about not only how important a support system is, but how lucky I am to have one of the greatest in the world) Now, you may be asking yourself: did you want to get up on a Sunday morning, the Sunday morning of Cinco de Mayo nonetheless, and workout by yourself for 90 minutes? Well, yes and no. I would love it if drinking my face off, eating quesadillas and scarfing down chips and salsa yielded the same results as Insanity. But it doesn't. I know how I feel when I do both activities mentioned above and can say hands down that I feel better mentally, physically and even emotionally when I get in a daily workout. It has become something that I enjoy, even when the time required exceeds what I might want to give to it - the return is always exponential. 


As I walked down to Farmer's Market with a cup of tea in my hand, I commented to Champ that in years past that would likely have been a margarita "road soda". We walked by the crowds of people enjoying a swirl at Aqui's but instead stayed our course - shopping for fresh, seasonal, organic produce. Tonight Champ is going to make a Petrole Ceviche (using fish we purchased that was caught on Friday) while I throw together a Cucumber Guacamole. We will skip the margaritas, but you're foolish if you think we won't polish off some of our favorite Spicy Soy & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips from Trader Joe's. Life is about balance after all. If you're looking for a way to celebrate and save a few calories, Beachbody has taken out the guess work and has compiled a list of 20 Cinco de Mayo Recipes Under 200 Calories. Try some. And if you're gonna have an alcoholic beverage, make it a "Nor Cal Margarita" which can be described to a bartender as follows: "tequila, soda water, and a sh!t ton of lime".

Feliz Cinco de Mayo, hope you wake up feeling as good as I do tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment