Monday, August 8, 2011

Lift me Higher

"Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher." -Oprah Winfrey

I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by the most supportive group of family and friends who have encouraged me in all aspects of life, but most recently in my fitness goals. In the past couple of months I have noticed amazing growth and progress in some of those people and want to give props where they are overdue.

First, my sister Tina, who over the last year has taken an interest in doing various runs in the New York race circuit. As part of her Christmas present, I proposed that we run a race together. We were able to make this a reality Memorial weekend in Arroyo Grande, not only running the Strawberry Stampede but doing so in costume. As someone who is not passionate about running, I admire her work ethic and dedication to training for these races. I hope that that race will not be our last together.

Last year at Christmas Eve dinner, my dad told me the most exciting news I'd heard in a long time. He leaned over and said "I think I'd like to run a race with you next year". I'd like to think that him accompanying me to my Turkey Trot got him that feeling of longing to participate (I call it finish-line-feeling-envy, I get it anytime I show up at a race I'm not running). Without any real accountability partner or publicity, he silently began his training. He spends many of his lunch breaks walking around West Hollywood and has sprinkled in treadmill training runs. His training must've been effective because not only has he noticably thinned out as of late, but he ROCKED the 5k. I can't wait to try another family run in the future.

Next, comes my sister Lizzy. Until recently, I think it would be safe to say that Lizzy's favorite form of exercise was her weekly pole-dancing classes. (she had the bruises to prove her dedication). If you know me, you know that I ramble about Beachbody and fitness and diet, and am usually doing some sort of cleanse or diet - most people just get used to it. Poor Lizzy has had to endure this more than most but I just assumed that she'd learned to tune me out. You can imagine my excitement and surprise when Lizzy sent out her birthday wishlist (which I loved for the record) and in addition to a stripper pole, Shakeology made it's way onto her list. Although it was difficult to narrow it down between the two, I decided to go with the gift of health. After a few samples Lizzy has taken a liking to Greenberry and has a bag of it en route to her house. That alone is a huge step toward a more healthy lifestyle but get this.. After leaving a family vacation in upstate New York Lizzy dropped the bomb on me that she'd decided to order a Beachbody program of her own! I couldn't be more proud. She even opted for the deluxe package and rushed shipment because she was so anxious to get started. Although some may be skeptical about the results of DVD workouts, her sore booty should give some indication of how effective they can be. Although she's got a hectic schedule and finding time to fit in workouts is tougher than most, she's made the commitment and I know she'll be pleased with the results.

Finally, my amazing mother has made a commitment this summer to find a way to incorporate some exercise into her daily life. During a trip home at the beginning of June, we talked about reasonable goals to make that a reality. Together we set the goal that she would walk three days of the week, whether it was with friends, alone, outdoors or on the treadmill with a slight incline. I pestered her more often than I think she realized I would, but my mother, like few people who have come to me for help, took her fitness goals more seriously than I expected (no offense mom). She usually had already exercised by the time I texted/called to check on her, even in the 100+ heat she found alternatives that worked. Not only did she ABSOLUTELY meet her goals but she SHATTERED them; as summer is coming to an end, she has walked almost every day of her summer vacation. I don't know if she realizes the pride that I share in her accomplishments. We have already vowed to support each other as the school year starts and we need that little extra push after a long day at work.

Now that I've bragged about my amazing family, let me just touch on one more person who's pretty much family anyway...

One of my best friends, Katy Casellini, is the source of constant inspiration and motivation in my fitness journey. I met Katy in 2007 and we became fast friends. It was the summer of 2009 that she began focusing on her health and fitness, making positive changes that have evolved her into the beast she is today. For those of you who have the pleasure of knowing Katy, you know that she has spent countless time and bottomless energy in pursuit of her fitness goals. She has overcome physical, mental, and emotional barriors to succeed in her pursuits. Katy began her transformation by adding walking into her daily routine, as well as focusing on her diet through Weight Watchers. She joined Club One, began incorporating Kickboxing, Club Circuit and eventually set running-related goals. After doing the Couch25k training program, I was fortunate enough to accompany her on many races, including our first 5k in March 2010 as well as our first Half Marathon in Las Vegas December 2010. Unfortunately Katy has been plagued with shin splints that evolved into a stress fracture. Despite the injury and hardships that has added to her exercise routines, she has found alternative ways to stay motivated. Watching her top the National Combine360 Challenge leaderboards and complete her first open water swim this past weekend were such proud moments that I enjoyed sharing with my amazing friend. Where anyone else might use their injury as an excuse for inactivity, Katy has found herself even more motivated and couldn't be doing better. I hope she realizes what an inspiration she is to those around her. Her transformation, though certainly not without difficult periods, has shown many what is possible when dedication and persperation combine. I love you Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment