Sunday, March 20, 2011

Forty Six Days

So, I'm gonna blame part of the reason for my lack of posts lately on Lent..  

For some, Lent is a period of going on a diet; for others, it is when Catholic co-workers show up to work with ashes on their heads, and fast food restaurants start selling fish sandwiches. Many Christians, who don't necessarily find their way to mass except on Easter and Christmas, find they are attracted to Lent.

I fall into the final category, Lent is a time of year that I enjoy challenging myself to 46 (yes, it's not 40, it's 46) days withholding something from myself. This year I decided to give up TWO things. Chocolate* and Technology on school nights*.  

Chocolate*: I'm allowed to have Chocolate Shakeology. I think that God would agree that it's too wonderful of a product to withhold from myself.
The chocolate has, thus far, been a breeze. Mainly because for Mardi Gras I seriously ate more chocolate than I have in the past three months, so by the time I weighted in on Wednesday at the gym (great timing, I know) I was ready to take a hiatus from Kringle, Reese's and beyond. 

Technology*: I turn off technology at 10:30 on school nights. Weekends and Spring Break are fair game.
The technology has been a challenge. Most days I work from 7:30-3:30, come home and cook dinner before going to yoga (5:30-7). By the time I get home, shower, and eat it's usually around 8:30. Now, one would imagine that two hours of technology SHOULD be enough for a person. Perhaps they haven't met me.
1. I am VERY well-versed at wasting time on the internet (facebook, twitter, blogs, ebay, gchat, etc) as well as doing research and collaborating on chapters for my Masters Research Paper.
2. Then there's texting! I usually do a good deal of my texting when I am laying in bed, ready to fall asleep. It's the only time when I don't have a ton of distractions, but this 10:30 rule cuts down on that (and especially my nightly 11:11 text to Lindsey Minor)
3. Television has surprisingly been the easiest thing to say goodnight too. I'm sure having the DVR helps, because most nights there are a few hours of programming that my roommate and I indulge in.

So far, so good. What did you give up/promise to do for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment