Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wallet vs Waist

My first frustration set in today with my Make Me Mini March campaign.. 

Now, don't get me wrong... I had a BLAST planning my meals for the week this afternoon. I used myrecipes.com to browse online, select Cooking Light recipes, and generate a shopping list. I was off to the store, excited to do my shopping for the week- one of the highlights of my Sunday.. 
The frustration set in when I saw my total, $101.96. I was once again reminded that it's not cheap to eat healthy. I DID get a lot of food and it will feed me (and my roommate) for an entire week. But when you consider the price of fast food, it is definitely a cheaper option. For the price I paid for groceries I could have purchased the following amounts of fast food:
115 Crunch Wrap Supremes (Taco Bell)
19 Mandarin Chicken Salads (Wendy's)
20 Footlong Meatball Sandwiches (Subway)
25 Big Macs (McDonalds)
22 Personal Pepperoni Pizzas (Pizza Hut)
46 Medium French Fries (Mc Donalds)



Clearly, the tradeoff of cost vs. nutritional value isn't enough to change my mind about Make Me Mini March... but it is something that I'd like to complain about.

On a brighter note, this week's menu looks amazing!!

Tuesday (Mardi Gras): Jambalaya with Shrimp and Andouille Sausage
Wednesday: Roasted-Vegetable Lasagna
Thursday: Dinner with Brett Hoebel :)
Friday: Slow-Cooker Veggie Chili
Saturday:Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles
Sunday: Sausage and Bean Casserole

2 comments:

  1. It would be really cool to compare the calories in the fast food items versus the meals you're making, and then see how much more of the healthy food you can actually EAT for the cost! Hopefully that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make sense!
    Chances are, this week I'll end up doing it.

    ReplyDelete