Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Firefly Project: Katy Casellini

Everyone should have a friend like Katy Casellini. She is loyal, trustworthy, caring, and compassionate. She’s been there for me at the lowest of my lows - picking me up and dusting me off. She’s been there to celebrate my highest highs and reassure me that I deserve all the good things that have come my way.

I was fortunate enough to meet Katy in 2007 when I moved to the bay area to start my career at Laurelwood - she was an intern in the room next door. What began as co-workers developed fast into a friendship as I was lucky enough to be welcomed into Katy's world. We've never taught more than a door away from each other (which works out well so we can pop in and "check on each other" throughout the day) Her dedication to teaching is admirable; the time and energy that she has put in the past couple of years to become Reading Recovery certified has increased her professional contributions exponentially. She is an amazing teacher, a great co-worker and an even better friend. 

Throughout the years we have had our share of adventures, from road trips to emotional roller-coasters and everything in between. When I met Katy, the prospect of a road trip to San Luis Obispo with no real agenda and the promise of "couches to sleep on" was a daunting one - she's a planner. Over the years she has embraced more of the go-with-the-flow approach and it's led to some of our most memorable adventures. Katy loves the beach, especially San Diego - we celebrated her birthday and a couple New Years there and it really is as magical as she believe it to be. :)

Katy has made a huge transformation since I met her 6 years ago, both physically and otherwise. She has lost over 40 pounds in the time I've known her and changed her outlook on both diet and exercise. A couple years ago, Katy introduced me to Club Circuit, which vastly changed the way I thought about working out; she still attends weekly and is dialed into an amazing group of supportive individuals. She is always supportive when I'm starting a new diet program (even when it receives less than warm receptions in the staff room) and she enjoys her morning Shakeology out of a red solo cup as much as I do. Katy has been a vegetarian for more than a year now; this compassionate choice is one that I both respect and admire (even though I didn't fully understand its' power until recently). We've run races together, and even conquered each of our first half marathon together at the Las Vegas Rock N Roll - an experience that I won't soon forget. While it hasn't been an easy journey to a healthier lifestyle, she's stayed committed and now has chosen to help share her success and motivation through a coaching role at Beachbody. In the short time she's been enrolled, she is already helping dozens of people to follow the same course that she did. 

Katy's kindness, compassion, professionalism, loyalty, trustworthiness, and thoughtfulness are just a few of the qualities that come to mind when I think of how to describe her. She has such a positive impact on the world around her, from children, to friends, to complete strangers that she inspires by example. 


For all that you do, all that you are, and all that you aspire to be - Katy, you make the world a brighter place.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks Vickie! The feeling is completely mutual--you make MY world a brighter place! I love you!

    ReplyDelete