Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Firefly Project: Matt Hutchison

I met Matt while we lived across the hall from each other in the dorms at Cal Poly SLO. He was one of the few people whom I bonded with my freshman year, in fact he was even nice enough to let me borrow his gold Honda Legend to get to off-campus for a few class meetings. Matt’s path and mine reconnected 6 years ago when I took a job near Sunnyvale (his hometown); he had moved back home to pursue a career in fire/police and we reconnected with the help of Facebook. Matt came in and helped me set up my brand new classroom - he was patient and understanding, especially when I made him reconfigure an entire wall of shelves only to change my mind and have him move it back the next day. While I don’t get the opportunity to see Matt as much as I’d like, I know that he lives his life in service, not only while serving as a Public Safety Officer in Sunnyvale but in his everyday life. He is a loving husband to Katie and loyal friend. I value the times that we do spend together - annual pumpkin carving, hitting balls at the driving range, or watching Zac Efron movies (ok, so that was only once). His sense of humor can’t be overlooked and I especially value the way he will speak his mind and give his honest opinion when I’m seeking advice.

Today Matt came into my classroom to read to the kids in celebration of Dr. Seuss’s birthday - he did this despite having just worked a graveyard shift. That's just the kind of guy he is. He was enthusiastic and the kids absolutely loved hearing him read our favorite tongue twister Fox in Socks. I’m lucky to call Matt my friend.  

Matt, you make the world a brighter place.

No comments:

Post a Comment