Friday, February 22, 2013

The Firefly Project: Mike Minkel

Today I had the pleasure of grabbing coffee and catching up with my latest firefly, Mike Minkel. I met Minkel a little less than a year ago when we became roommates at the McNiff Mansion (read: equivalent of a frat house for twenty-somethings). During our short stint as roomies I grew to love Minkel. His overwhelming awesome sense of humor sometimes overshadows the other amazing qualities he possesses, including one of the biggest hearts out there. He is genuine in every sense of the word. His word is good, his intentions are pure and he's always willing to help - whether it means lugging furniture for friends in his gigantic truck, helping me build a bookshelf at 2am (sorry Jeff and Janelle) or just hanging out when I needed a couch surfing buddy. Minkel brings a laugh and a smile to anyone that he encounters.

While I lived with Mike, he worked for the Giants and gave of his time to coach a youth baseball team. Mike's passion for baseball can only be rivaled by his passion for junk food. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but the boy can eat! My favorite Minkel story is when he shared with me his idea of a workout: running to Panda Express or Taco Bell to get food, and then running home to eat it. All joking aside, Minx is a friend who I know will be around for a lifetime; even when we go weeks without talking I know we can sit down - like we did today - and pick up right where we left off. Those are the kind of friends anyone would love to have. 

For the joy you bring to the people around you and the willingness you have to help others, you make the world a brighter place.

No comments:

Post a Comment