Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Firefly Project: Lent Edition


Since I can remember, I’ve always observed Lent. I’ve abstained from eating meat on Fridays, I’ve given up anything from "technology after ten" to alcohol to chocolate. I think most people can say that they’ve participated in this 40* day tradition at one point or another (for religious reasons or otherwise). Anyone who knows me, knows that I love a good challenge involving restriction - whether it’s a detox, a diet, etc. - but this year I decided that instead of removing something from my life, I wanted to do something to appreciate and pay tribute to all the amazing people who I’m blessed enough to know and love. Last year I had a similar ambition; I was going to send a letter to someone who’d influenced my life everyday for 40* days. I don’t think any of these letters ever got stamps affixed.

This year, I’m feeling especially blessed and want to honor the people who have helped to get me to the point I am today - the happiest and healthiest I can remember being. It just so happened that Shannon Taylor, a trainer at my fitness facility, has begun a similar endeavor entitled The Firefly Project. For 100 days, she will recognize someone whose presence and contributions make the world a better place. With her blessing, I’ve decided to do my own version of The Firefly Project. Each day during Lent, I will identify someone who makes the world brighter with their existence. 

My goal is to blog about the person each day so that we can all celebrate these fantastic individuals; I want to share these amazing people and their contributions with the world. Perhaps it will encourage someone else to smile a little bigger, help another person, inspire change, or pass along the appreciation to someone else. 

*Lent actually is 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment